Thursday 30 May 2013

Two nights in Bangkok make a tired man humble

My experience of most Asian cities follows an established pattern. At first there is the thrill of expectation: all that humanity and culture cooking under the pressure of intense cohabitation in the heat of the tropical sun. Even on the airport shuttle bus, I still feel ready and willing to embrace the hellish traffic, the constantly unreliable public transport and the cryptic dance of bartering as a sign that here in this land, it is still possible to lead the simple, the authentic, the deregulated life.

Sooner or later though the grain of my nature asserts itself, and I am faced with the incontrovertible truth that cities drain all my energy. Naturally inclined towards observation, reflection and empathy, I sorely need downtime to process the torrent of new impressions which cities present. Without this, each looming face on a potholed pavement, each motorcycle horn or hawker's cry falls like a hammer blow on already bruised and broken skin, and slowly but surely I am beaten down into a numb and ragged stupor.

...which is pretty much how I felt when I left Kathmandu, in desperate need of some downtime among the jungled karsts and lazy rivers of northern Laos. But international airports are seldom located in sparsely populated areas of outstanding natural beauty and so my only real option was to connect from one maddening metropolis to another. Like it or not, I was headed for a layover in Bangkok and felt duty bound in spite of my city fatigue to explore its sights.

Two days is not enough to get a handle on a city and its occupants, especially if you are already battling fatigue and wading through the broiling heat and thick humidity of the early rainy season. No. The best one can do in such circumstances is to plunge into the torrent of impressions with eyes wide open in the hope that some few encounters, by virtue of their gravity, will linger long enough to aid reflection.

For my part, whenever I think of those days in Bangkok, one encounter in particular stands out as a kind of metonym affording some modest insight into Thai culture. Whether my conclusions are accurate or not, I will leave to the judgement of those who have a more profound understanding of the country and its people.

Day one in Bangkok began early with the search for some sunglasses to replace the sorry fragments of cracked plastic and super glue that my current pair had become. En route to the Golden Mount, I spy a rack of sunglasses outside a shop and cross the road to spin the display stand. As usual, my only criterion was to find a pair that were cheap enough for me to bear their loss when I eventually stood on them, as I inevitably would, yet of sufficient quality not to fall apart in a high wind.

Soon enough I found some that would do and entered the shop to pay. As I did so, two things instantly struck me, the first being the welcome embrace of the near omnipresent Bangkok air con -- ruthlessly efficient and instantly refreshing. Less welcome however was the realisation that the only other merchandise on offer here was the tackier end of the Hello Kitty range. From floor to ceiling the orange walls were full of shelves stacking the kind of kitsch and lurid polyurethane accessories that would make even the most girlie of Japanese schoolgirls wince.

There followed a moment's hesitation in which my masculinity seemed to deflate like some Hindenburg wrecked upon the thorns of Kitty's rose garden. Puffing myself up, I approached the teenage girl behind the counter who was already flashing me a mouthful of expensive corrective dental work in place of a smile. The sunglasses, she informed me, were actually on sale and 100 baht cheaper than the advertised price -- a most welcome little victory for my pocket given the countless times I had been overcharged in the past month. Sadly however I was not able fully to savour this triumph, for now that I had increased my proximity to those elaborately caged teeth I found myself staring into a set of milky blue eyes, the peculiar lustre of which seemed to suggest an origin beyond our solar system.

'Contact lenses', it suddenly dawned on me as I unfroze and handed over the note. 'Of course: nothing in this shop is real, but a comic-book homage to all that is cute and kitsch.'

But just then when I thought I had her pegged, she goes and changes shape. Raising her hands in response to my khop khun krap, she clasps them together in prayer front of her face, closes her eyes, and bows with such consummate grace and gravity that I am genuinely moved by the gesture.

Frequent visitors to Thailand will no doubt be able to state this in far better terms, but it seems to me that wrapped up in the heart of this simple encounter lies a kernel of truth about Thai culture. Time and again I saw grace and gravity cheek by jowl with a wacky exuberance and certain fondness for all things kitsch. Turn on a TV or radio at any moment in Thailand and you stand a good chance of catching either a solemn rendition of the national anthem, during which you are expected to drop what you are doing and stand to attention, or an advert in which the familiar narrative of problem - solution is punctuated by kitschy cartoon jingles. Seriously, adverts in Thailand are all muted trumpet and bugle fanfares. And if anyone should fall victim to a banana skin, you can be sure their fall from grace will be marked with a glissando upon one of those sliding whistles.

My purchase complete, I continued on my way to the Golden Mount, using my GPS to guide me through delightful old-style Bangkok neighbourhoods -- all alleyways and canals. More than once I was led to question the onward path as the device blithely urged me onward through latched iron gates and into narrow concrete canyons in which sleeping Thais lay strewn around on hammocks and mattresses, their limbs contorted as if dropped from a great height. But in the end it was a journey worth making, if only for the the sight that greeted me as I made my final approach to the temple. Near the entrance at street level, a group of kids were dressed to the nines in traditional Thai costume, even though they were karaoke-busking to what sounded like the losing entries to Latvia's quest for a song for Europe. After the events of my morning, I saw something familiar in this curious prospect, and so joined the thin crowd of listless onlookers to marvel at the wondrous juxtapositions... In the background a teenage girl in emerald Buddha green was performing a slow and elegant swan neck gesture while out in front, a fat little boy in a golden jacket bounced around the stage screaming flatly into a cheap microphone.

An encounter in my book worth more than a thousand golden Buddhas.

No comments: