Tuesday 7 May 2013

Nepal Travelog: On the Kindness of Monks and Children


And so goodbye for now Nepal. Waking on a Kathmandu morning, unable to breathe for all the diesel soot, dryness and dust hanging in the air, I will not miss... but as well as your mountains, your rivers, your moonlit hillsides and all the friends I have made inside your borders, your smiles will surely call me back.

On my birthday drive out to that desolate and windswept mountain peak, I stopped at Boudhanath, site of the world's largest Buddhist stoupa and a thriving centre for Tibetan Buddhism. As I entered the square, I could make out the maroon of monks' robes between the dark wooden slats of a gompa sitting right in front of the gleaming stoupa. A ritual was taking place, and I was suddenly and powerfully overwhelmed by the chanting, the crashing of cymbals, the juniper incense and the sonorous tones of the dungchen.

I mean it. I had to sit down, so sought out the only shade available in that square at 12 pm, which just happened to be the bamboo awning of a coffee kiosk in the corner. As I ordered, and fumbled around for some small change, I caught the eye of a passing monk, and gave him one of those no-holds-barred smiles that have become so indicative of my experience of this country. This it seems arrested him from whatever business he had in crossing that square, for as well as beaming back at me, he approached me slowly with both arms outstretched, took my face in his hands and rested his forehead against my own. After a few moments we drew away from each other, and he motioned for me to return the gesture, placing my hands upon his cheeks, and bowing slightly so that our foreheads might touch.

When we separated, we were both still beaming, though my eyes were filling with tears, and I had a lump in my throat through which I was struggling to breathe.

The next day as I drove back down the mountain, I passed a wedding party at which a fully uniformed brass band was making the most dynamic contribution. Normally I associate these bands with military parades or pavilions on the village green, but here in Nepal, they had taken the pomp and circumstance of the old colonial West, and married it with their own native rhythms and melodies. For a moment, I enjoyed reading the potential for irony in that band's performance, the mockery that mimickry, particularly of one's colonial forebearers, can always suggest. But in truth, the whole scene was more Kusturica than Python, and soon I was struggling with a powerful urge to drink and dance.

Plumbing and democracy aside, sometimes the East does the West very well, revitalising even our most painful cliches.

Emboldened perhaps by the evident admiration written into my gaze, a group of children eventually approached me after a great deal of coy and tentative hovering. Although most of the boys were in jeans and t-shirt, a couple of young girls were clearly playing a more central role in the day's events and wore white dresses trimmed with white netting and pink ribbon. All of them, boys as well as girls, wore gold earrings and black eyeliner.

The oldest among them, a girl of about 12, was such a gentle, modest and open-hearted young kid. When we first set about chatting, she insisted she knew no English, though it quickly became clear that her level of proficiency allowed her to express herself quite eloquently. When I bought them some candy from the local store, she apologised on behalf of the shopkeeper, who had overcharged me by 20 rupees, about 15 pence, and invited me to her family's house in a nearby field. There she poured me some water and gave me a tour of her and her brothers' rooms, their faded posters, dog-eared books and battered toys. She was opening up her little life to me with an innocence and trust that only children have and I was both grateful and touched. And then she asked me for some photos of my family, and I took out my tablet to show her all the images, the maps and the videos that it contained, teaching the kids how to tap, swipe and pinch zoom the images. Of course, this they loved, and I was quickly at the centre of a tight knot of eager reaching hands and craning faces. But still, I couldn't help feeling a certain shame, a revulsion even for the source of this excitement. Here in this simple home, such an expensive consumer device seemed terribly decadent and made me despise the fetishistic value that we in the West bestow upon such possessions. 

For a moment, my eyes glazed and I was no longer in the room. Overcome with my own hypocrisy, I was slouching off to some dark corner of my head where I didn't have to look myself in the eye. Then in some lull to all the excitement happening far away I heard her voice. 

  "We are friends now, yes?".   

I looked up to see this 12 year old girl dressed like a little angel and beaming at me with what seemed like all the love in the world. 

And once more I fought back my rising tears and struggled with the lump in my throat. 

One of the messages that I most want to get out with this blog is the importance of these brave gestures, of openness, trust and empathy. Recently I re-took the Myers Briggs personality test and confirmed that I am still very much an INFP type. Naturally inclined to intimacy, I guess I am sucker for the kindness of strangers, and always return it with interest. But it seems to me that in the triumph of consumer capitalism, we sorely need the check and balance of empathy if we are to avoid the unintended consequences that always come when we let a system regulate our affairs. Ours is a society where self-interest and the competitive instinct will always be rewarded with wealth and comfort, as well as the power and privilege of preserving and drafting legislation. Whilst this arrangement has obvious benefits in terms of stimulating innovation and economic growth, without intervention we run the risk of creating ever more selfish societies, further alienating and undervaluing those who would pursue the more caring and nurturing professions. 

Something to ponder as you dwell on these encounters...

No comments: