Thursday 25 April 2013

Nepal Travelog: On friendship on the trail...


On the trail the other day as I climbed toward the high pass of Thorung La, the path was just challenging enough to give me a steady stream of endorphines without making me plain exhausted. It was another bright, blue day at 4000 metres with amazing views of Annapurna 3 high above me, while down below in the canyon, a steady stream of vultures glided in on thermals to feed on the carcass of a blue sheep. 

It was a hypnotic rhythm, a dreamy headspace conducive to contentment, and the first time I had felt fully relaxed in months. Like a virtuous circle, I saw myself through my mood and picked out only my proud achievements, the excitement of further grand plans and other times I had been deliriously happy. Soon I was lifted up higher into the thinning air.

Whenever I feel such happiness, I look others in the eye and smile. Freed somehow from all those false urgencies that would shut me off from the world, I am released fully to acknowledge the presence of others in a selfless gesture that simply opens up and gives.

Later, as I sat in the glass-walled dining room of my guesthouse, gazing out into a sudden snow storm, I saw some familiar faces beating their way against the wind-whipped and thickening flakes of snow. It was a couple of girls I had met the previous day in Manang and who had so thoroughly distracted me with a warm and welcome exchange conversation that I almost forgot to pay for my pain-aux-chocolat. Instinctively I rapped on the window to get their attention and beam out a huge smile of welcome. Ten minutes later we were discussing our Myers-Briggs profiles over hot tea and a menu. 

Three days have passed since I fell in with their company, days in which I have hardly had a moment to myself. Normally, I would resent such an intense obligation, especially in my beloved mountains where I have always sought a zen-like flatline of simplicity. But this trip is different.     

After sleep-walking through my life for too long, this year for me is all about abandoning the patterns of habit. It is about opening my eyes to the vastness of the world, its possibilities and personalities before moving forward with purpose. When we are lucky enough to spend time with those who have reflected on their experience with honesty care and courage, we are reminded that we all have the same demons and desires. What separates us and gives us real reason to listen are the different lessons that each of us has gained along the way. Whether it be a life-changing decision, or something as simple as an attitude, by seeking out and truly listening to those who have earned wisdom, we too may find new tools and strategies for getting the most out of life. 

And all it really takes to step into this world is to break your routine and go see something new and full of wonder. There, on top of your own mountain, you will find the pettiness of your own urgencies and the eyes of others to receive your smile.

1 comment:

Pete said...

Thought i would comment, not least due to the fact that you keep getting spammed!... Really enjoy reading this blog - so well written and considered. Nepal is such a magical place..(although it must have changed a bit since i was there - pan au chocolat!) keep on keeping on.