Saturday 12 January 2008

A quick visit to Garbitses... Or Alonissos Travelogue Part 19

Leaving Mourtitsa at about 6 o'clock, I was still more or less on schedule for my evening ritual of showering, dressing for the evening, and sipping an ouzo outside my tent. But there was still one thing that I wanted to see now that I had the Vespa: the archaeological site of Garbitses.

I don't really know why: I knew and still know nothing about the site, despite numerous internet searches. So if anyone can illuminate me as to the significance of the site, I'd be grateful. But I think that I mostly wanted to see it because it was an archaeological site and my wife would be disappointed if I neglected to visit it.

Signed off the main road on the way back, I drove carefully up the dirt road on my trusty Vespa until I came to a sign by the side of the road directing me the last 100 meters or so through scrub and olive groves to the site itself.

I almost missed it. The fact of the matter is that there really isn't all that much to see, just these blocks:


And no matter how much I nosed around, overturing stones and parting the fronds of ferns, I just couldn't find anything else.

However, if the site wasn't exactly the most interesting that I have visited, I was compensated by the surroundings. Standing next to any ancient stones in the early evening, high up on a hill side facing the sea is always an experience.

And so is an alfresco ouzo back at your tent after a long day's walking... so with this on my mind, I left Garbitses and headed back to the campsite.

No comments: